The Philippine Association of Glaucoma Surgeons: Leading Experts in Glaucoma Treatment in the Philippines
Welcome to the Philippine Association of Glaucoma Surgeons, where our highly skilled team of professionals is dedicated to providing exceptional services in glaucoma diagnosis, treatment, and management. Our goal is to improve the quality of life for our patients by combining cutting edge technology with compassionate care from our top-rated surgeons.
A. What is Glaucoma?
Glaucoma is a group of eye conditions that damage the optic nerve, which can lead to vision loss if left untreated. Increased pressure within the eye (intraocular pressure) is often the main cause of this damage.
B. Types of Glaucoma
There are several types of glaucoma, such as:
- Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma (POAG): The most common form of glaucoma, where the drainage angle in the eye remains open, but the fluid flow is slowed down, causing a rise in intraocular pressure.
- Angle-Closure Glaucoma: Caused by the sudden blockage of fluid drainage due to a closed-angle between the iris and cornea, resulting in an abrupt increase in intraocular pressure.
- Normal-Tension Glaucoma: This occurs when damage to the optic nerve happens even with normal intraocular pressure.
- Secondary Glaucoma: This type results from an injury or another eye condition that causes increased pressure in the eye.
C. Symptoms of Glaucoma
Glaucoma often starts without noticeable symptoms, and vision loss progresses gradually. Early detection through regular eye exams can mitigate the impact of the disease. Some common symptoms of glaucoma may include:
- Blurred vision
- Tunnel vision
- Eye pain
- Halos around lights
- Severe headache
- Nausea and vomiting
The Need for Glaucoma Diagnosis
A. Explanation of Glaucoma tests
Several tests can help detect glaucoma, such as:
- Tonometry: Measures the intraocular pressure in the eye.
- Ophthalmoscopy: A detailed examination of the optic nerve for signs of damage.
- Visual Field Test (Perimetry): Assesses the patient’s peripheral vision.
- Gonioscopy: Examines the angle between the cornea and the iris to determine if it is open or closed.
B. Who should get tested for Glaucoma?
People over 40 years of age, those with a family history of glaucoma, and individuals with particular risk factors (such as diabetes or high blood pressure) should be checked regularly for glaucoma.
A. Overview of treatment options
There is currently no cure for glaucoma, but prompt and continuous treatment can decrease the chances of vision loss. Major treatment options include:
- Eye drops
- Oral medications
- Laser therapy
- Surgical procedures
B. How the Philippine Association of Glaucoma Surgeons provides top-notch care
At The Philippine Association of Glaucoma Surgeons, our team is composed of qualified and experienced surgeons who specialize in various glaucoma treatment options. We strive to offer tailored treatments to match every patient’s unique needs.
Detailed Services of The Philippine Association of Glaucoma Surgeons
A. Description of Surgical Procedures Offered
We offer multiple surgical procedures, including:
- Trabeculectomy: A drainage opening is created, allowing the fluid to flow out and reduce intraocular pressure.
- Glaucoma Drainage Devices: A small drainage device is implanted to manage intraocular pressure.
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS): A range of advanced micro-surgical procedures designed to minimize tissue disruption and complications.
B. Information about the Surgical Staff
Our surgical staff has years of experience in treating glaucoma, constantly keeping up with the latest treatment technologies and surgical techniques to provide top-quality services to our patients.
C. Testimonials from Patients
Our patients have experienced improvements in their overall quality of life and stabilizing vision loss after receiving services from the Philippine Association of Glaucoma Surgeons. We aim to provide compassionate, life-changing care for every person that walks through our doors.
Benefits and Outcomes of Treatment
Effective glaucoma treatment can stabilize and maintain intraocular pressure, preventing blindness in most patients. With early diagnosis and comprehensive care, our patients can lead fulfilling lives without the burden of uncontrolled glaucoma.
At The Philippine Association of Glaucoma Surgeons, our mission is to provide unparalleled care and support for every patient, vigilantly managing glaucoma in order to improve their quality of life. If you or a loved one need assistance in facing this disease, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Together, we can face glaucoma and protect your most precious gift: your sight.